My beloved brothers and sisters,
On 13 Tuba from every year we celebrate the first miracle of our Lord Jesus Christ at Cana of Galilee. This miracle is one of the minor feasts of our Lord.
Why does our church celebrate this miracle?
- It is the first miracle of our Lord Jesus Christ that shows us His glory, His power and His authority. There is no overt action on the part of the Lord.
- It shows us the participation of our Lord Jesus Christ in people’s lives. By His presence at this wedding, the blessed sacrament of marriage is to be holy.
- Also, in the Old Testament, marriage feasts symbolize the union of God with His bride, Israel.
Jesus began His ministry at a wedding in Galilee, which was a largely Gentile territory. Therefore, this is a sign that the Joy of the Kingdom spreads beyond Judea. I mean Jesus came to the entire world not just to Israel. Jesus began His ministry at a wedding to show that He is the source of joy to everyone. This miracle also shows us an example of the intercession of the Virgin Saint Mary. We believe Saint Mary continually speaks to her Son on our behalf. Saint Mary was with Jesus Christ at this wedding at Cana of Galilee. The servants who were in charge of the celebration discovered they were out of wine. Saint Mary felt that they had a problem but had no doubt as to who could solve their problem. She asked her Son, the Lord, with full trust and faith in Him that He will act and do something. She did not wait but she advised the servants “whatever He says to you, do it” (John 2:5)
- The Lord Jesus Christ did this miracle by the request of his mother the Virgin Saint Mary. So, the Virgin Mary is a great intercessor for us when we are in trouble or experiencing difficulties
- The intercession of Saint Mary has continued from the early ages of Christianity. When Mettias the Apostle was tied by chains in prison, Saint Mary untied the chains and got Him out of prison. Many Coptic Churches all over the world are named after her, because so many miracles are performed by her prayers when people ask for her help.
- The Virgin Saint Mary appeared several times, including the major one in the Church of El-Zeitoun in Egypt. That was clear evidence of her role to pray on behalf of the people so that God may help them.
May God bless your lives through the intercession of Saint Mary and all the Saints? I wish you many happy and blessed rewards from this feast.